I’m not sure what gives me more of thrill, rubbing down the bird with spices or carving into the bird and watching the juices ooze out. Simple pleasures like this make cooking rather delightful. I am all about family meals and feeding my ever so hungry kids (well in all fairness they are growing kids, right). This is a family favourite served simply with rosemary fries and a side salad. Though by the end of the meal it’s always evident which dish went down a treat. Let’s just say there is always more salad left over. But fear not, salads are great the next day for sandwiches.
Here’s what you need
- 4 tablespoons red chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sized chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Set grill to 200 degrees.
- Combine red chilli flakes, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar and sriracha, stirring until smooth.
- Brush oil evenly over chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in the grill for 90 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 165°. Remember to brush and turn chicken every 20 minutes with the sriracha mixture to keep the chicken moist. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Drizzle chicken with reserved mixture and serve.