Of all the pastas, I think I love penne just a little more than the rest. Probably because it’s a pretty straight forward and versatile pasta to use. Penne cooked with peas and pancetta is such a delight. For a little kick, I like to add birds eye chillies seeds and all. The addition of chillies takes this pasta dish up a notch.
- 450g of dried penne pasta
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 15g of butter
- A teaspoon of chopped garlic
- A teaspoon chopped chillies (add more if you like)
- 200g pancetta
- 200g frozen peas
- 50g of parmesan cheese (grated)
- Pinch of Pepper
- A handful of toasted pine nuts and shaved parmesan to serve
- Cook the penne pasta according the the packet instructions, until ‘al dente’. Drain well and keep the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Add the pancetta and fry until golden brown. Now add the garlic and chillies, fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas, cook for a few minutes. Add the pasta and toss together. Season to taste.
- Garnish with the Parmesan shavings, toasted pine nuts and serve hot