Melt in your mouth beans combined with coconut flavoured rice; spicy notes from the chillies and crispy onions is simply heartwarming.
- 80g easy cook long-grain rice per person
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 knob grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube (or bouillon powder)
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 tin can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 birds eye chillies (or 1 small scotch bonnet
- Teaspoon, olive oil
- Half, white or brown onion, diced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Squeeze of lime juice, optional
- Heat the coconut milk and water in a pot over medium-high heat then add the rice. Cook for 10 minutes.
The rice should be cooked in about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the grated ginger, salt, stock cube and stir well. Add the kidney beans, chillies and bring to a simmer, turn the heat down low and cover.
- Once its cooked, remove from the heat and leave it covered for 5 minutes. In a skillet, add a teaspoon of olive oil and fry the onions till golden brown. Top the onions on the rice with extra chopped chillies and a squeeze of lime juice.
- To serve, fluff with a fork.
This also goes well with curried lamb or sautéed prawns with garlic.